Thursday, May 29, 2014

Modern Jungle

I knew when I opened the box of quilts from Irene T of San Diego, CA that this one was special. First, I loved the backing fabric. Then, the glint of turquoise blue just sparkled again the earth tones. And that binding fabric...wow.



 I don't know Irene well yet, but I can already tell I love her. Her quilts demonstrate not only her talent and craftsmanship, but also her personality and generous spirit. After all, these quilts are designated as "charity." They are going to be given to strangers. She won't get a thank you note or even a hug. But she has provided best materials, has done her best work, and then packed them lovingly and meticulously. It has been an honor to get to quilt and finish these four quilts, and I'm looking forward to partnering with Irene to finish any charitable quilting she is ever called to do.

So, I named this one "Modern Jungle." I loved the lack of a traditional border, and the edginess of the mix of prints. I quilted it with Glide "Marigold" in an open meander pattern, scaled to fit the blocks. I don't think I've mentioned, but I'm using Warm & Natural 100% cotton batting for all my #quiltsfortupelo. 




I know this quilt will be received with gratitude and bring joy to a person who has been dealing with a lot of trials in their daily walk. The aftermath and cleanup of a big storm can feel like you live in a jungle. I pray that "Modern Jungle" will bring its new owner comfort.

I will feature the final quilt from Irene tomorrow. In the meantime, please consider donating a quilt, or a financial gift of any amount, to Quilts of Compassion. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quilts-of-Compassion/336600644288


Or...if you are able, COME TO TUPELO! Eight Days of Hope XI will be July 12-19, 2014. http://www.eightdaysofhope.com There is no cost to stay or eat when you come serve with 8DOH. We will be working in all stages of construction, as the hands and feet of Jesus, providing materials and work for the affected communities. Plus, Janice of Quilts of Compassion will be there, handing out quilts and comfort to the families who lost so much during the April 28 tornado. Just email me if you want more information! 

Here are a few more pictures of Modern Jungle in progress:











No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be posted after moderation.