Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Like a Kid in a Candy Shop

I received a box from my new-dear-friend-thanks-to-the-Internet, Irene T of San Diego, CA, last week. What a lovely, generous gift! Irene pieced four gorgeous quilt tops, plus supplied perfectly pieced backing fabrics, and even prepared matching bindings for each quilt. 



We are partnering to donate these quilts to Quilts of Compassion, a nonprofit, all volunteer disaster response organization, founded by Janice Grimes of Toledo, OH. Don't you love the Internet? Quilts for my hometown of Tupelo, MS, still recovering from the April 28 tornado--by way of San Diego, eastern NC and Toledo!



I will feature each of Irene's beautiful quilts here on the blog, but today I want to show you the one we've named "Candy Shop." (Thanks Julie, Mallory and Susan for your naming skills!) This cheerful quilt measures 61"x69" and is quilted with Glide "Lemon Ice" on top and "Coneflower" on the bottom.




I adore the bubblegum pink binding that Irene chose! It's the perfect complement to the top. I used my new favorite trick of machine binding (why, oh, why have I hand stitched all these years?).

I have quilted, but not yet bound, two of the three other quilts that Irene donated. Plus, I have an amazing story of Providence and provision that I am still processing (ha!) that I will tell you all about as soon as I can write about it. Stay tuned for more of the Quilts of Compassion #quiltsfortupelo showing up here on the blog!



P.S. This is why your longarmer asks for adequate backing and batting! Great job, Irene! ;)










No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be posted after moderation.