I've promised myself to tackle some of the many unfinished projects that I've moved with my USAF family over the years. A lot of these projects are unfinished because of my attention lapsing when something newer and shinier came along. But some were a result of hitting a snag in my ability or skill set at that point in my life, and it is definitely time to reclaim them.
A New Year's resolution of mine is to be more attentive to the project at hand. Focus until finished. That being said, I spent last week finishing a beautiful log cabin quilt I started a few years ago for my mother.
I had pieced the "core" of the quilt--all the blocks--and it only needed borders. What stopped me years ago was that I had decided the blocks needed one more round of lattice of the pretty floral to "float" and frankly I was sick of it. More 11" strips to cut...so I put it away. As you can see, I changed the design, and instead put a narrow border of the dark rust from the cornerstones, a wider 3" border of the floral, and then another narrow light rust border.
I opted for a piano key border to finish off the quilt (I just love the effect), and then planned to bind with the same light rust as that last border.
I love using my longarm table to pin borders. The bulk of the quilt is managed so easily.
I thought this quilt needed some beautiful feather quilting, and since I'd chosen a light green solid backing fabric, a strong rust thread would look beautiful on the back. My machine is sewing like a dream, and the Glide thread just glistens. I bought "Fantasy Feathers" from itsaquiltthing.com and started painting feathers on...
I am still stitching the binding, but will finish it up today. I will post final pictures before it's mailed off to my mom's (apparently soon-to-be repainted and refurbished to match the quilt!) master suite (sorry, Dad!).